Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Let's take a break

I deactivated my Facebook account yesterday. Not permanently, but for at least a week or so. I do this fairly often. It's nice to disconnect with the world sometimes, y'know? And I still have Instagram, which is vastly superior anyway, in my humble opinion. I could write a post just about how much better Instagram is to every other social media outlet. It's my favorite. 

Anyway. So I deactivated Facebook. I have such a love/hate relationship with it. On one hand, it's so handy for keeping in touch with people, especially family. One the other hand, it's a waste of time, and it drives me a little crazy. Here are some things that sparked this deactivation:
  • Negativity about my religion. I love my faith, and believe in the gospel and the prophet and other church leaders. The recent addition to the handbook about children of married same-sex couples has sparked so much Mormon-bashing from members and non-members alike, and I just can't handle seeing something so close to my heart being heatedly debated all over the place. 
  • Negativity about life in general. Let me be clear: I have no problem with a little therapeutic venting. I do it sometimes too. But if you really have nothing even remotely happy to share, just loads of complaints, please go eat some pizza and Oreos and be happy. ;) 
  • Excessive political posts. A little goes a long way. 
  • Excessive MLM advertisements, or any kind of advertisements. Again, a little goes a long way. I have no shame in unfollowing people that go crazy. Sorry not sorry. I don't have anything against MLM companies, per se, but such aggressive advertising makes me uncomfortable. 
  • Basically anything negative and/or excessive. 
There you have it. And since I don't have Facebook I've been so much more productive today, and I just feel better about myself. For example, here I am writing on my blog, which is something I love to do and wish I did more often. Yippee! Although I better go do something more productive before Eli wakes up from his nap. Like... eat Oreos. Or watch The Mindy Project. You know, important things. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment