(A draft I found and finished from this past year.)
It seems like very few weeks there's a new story going around about my religion. And, unfortunately, it's rarely flattering. Whether it's about church policies, or a certain famous singer putting out an anti-Mormon video I will not watch, or general accusations of bigotry/intolerance, it's constant and unrelenting. And it makes me sad every time.
I'll be honest with you: there are things I don't fully understand about the church or its history. I've had pressing questions. I've had times of serious doubt and confusion, especially during my teenage years.
And yet, I stay.
I don't stay because it's the cool or popular thing to do, because right now it's just really not. I don't stay because it's just something I'm used to, or because I was brought up this way. I don't stay for the social aspect, or the culture, or the food. (Okay, maybe a little bit for the food. We are currently in a Spanish branch in which food is very important, after all.) I don't stay because I worry what people would think if I left.
I stay because I know it's true.
It's more than just a belief to me, more than something I do, more than a club I belong to. It's a part of me, an inseparable part of my identity as a person. My faith drives me and gives me purpose and happiness in everything I do.
In short, the good in my life that has come because of my religion is impossible to fully explain.
And that is why those negative news stories make me sad. Rarely, if ever, do they show the good. Especially the innumerable acts of service facilitated by the incredible structure and organization of the church. Do you have any idea how much time and money is willingly sacrificed by members and the church as a whole to better the world through meaningful service, both in the church and out? Have you any clue how far-reaching the church's humanitarian aid efforts are? Probably not, since it's not something the church chooses to advertise, and neither does the mainstream media. Even I don't know for sure.
Aside from the good the people in the church do, the actual teachings of the gospel are so good, and so relevant. In my religion I am taught to be like Christ: loving, kind, and compassionate to all people, no matter their beliefs or how they choose to live their lives.
To look for the good in everyone around me.
To be service-minded and selfless.
To love and teach and protect my family.
To keep my marriage strong and healthy.
To obey the laws of the land and be a good citizen.
To take care of my physical body, especially by abstaining from any addictive/harmful substances.
To be well-educated, both spiritually and secularly.
Simply put, I'm taught to be the best I can be in all ways.
To look for the good in everyone around me.
To be service-minded and selfless.
To love and teach and protect my family.
To keep my marriage strong and healthy.
To obey the laws of the land and be a good citizen.
To take care of my physical body, especially by abstaining from any addictive/harmful substances.
To be well-educated, both spiritually and secularly.
Simply put, I'm taught to be the best I can be in all ways.
Now, I know the members of the church are not perfect. Mistakes are made by all, even leaders. They're human too, after all. But, cliche as it sounds, the gospel is perfect even when the people aren't. Every day it makes me a better individual, a better wife, a better mother, a better citizen, a better member of society in general. Every day I am thankful for the good things in my life that I know could not have come without my religion.
And so I stay, for now and for always.
And so I stay, for now and for always.


No comments:
Post a Comment